Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:46:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> > >I would prefer to have a 2.2ALPHA in my hands TODAY, a 2.2BETA a month
> > >from now, followed by a 2.2R in December.  This would shake out obvious
> > >bugs in 2.2R, but would not be a sufficient period of time for robustness
> > >testing and bug elimination.
> >
> > I concur. I also feel that we should continue to "support" (as in "have
> > readily available") a production grade version that has been shaken pretty
> > well.
>
> I haven't seen any support from you for 2.1.5?  Where are the PR's?
> Where are the emails with fixes?  Are you volunteering me to do the
> support?  It's mighty fine of you to tell me what I should/shouldn't do
> with my time, but methinks you're wasting both my time and yours with
> statements like the above.
>
> 'Find solutions not problems.  We've got plenty of the latter to go
> around, thank you very much!'

Well, I have not noticed any problems with 2.1.5R!

The only "valuable" addition that I can think of would be a TCP SYN
attack guard...  other than that I can think of no outstanding
complaints I have against it!

I do suggest that 2.1.5R should continue as the "reliability" branch for
the time being, for people who need rock solid systems, but I am not
telling you what you must do, or even that you must support it if you
do do it.

I would rather see 2.2R get pushed out the door so that there can be a
less-divergent-from-current stable tree under development.  I really
think that that is fairly important.

(Please note: all of this has been expressed as opinion.  That _should_
 be immediately obvious.)

... JG