Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:58:29 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        richard@cube3.erinet.com (Richard Stanaford)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am at a loss...

Richard Stanaford wrote:

> 	The question dealt with the possibility of running X-Windows over
> an Internet connection.  I believe the jist of the solutions was to grab a
> client program that can be run on, say, a Win95 box, and used to connect
> to a remote X server.  Did I dream that or just misunderstand?  :-)  I

No, that's quite correct, though you might have some of the details a wee bit
muddled...  ;-)

What you're looking for is an X _server_ that runs under win32.  X-based
applications (xterm, netscape, whatever...) are the clients.  An X client
relies on an X server to display its output in a neat little window, and it
really doesn't care all that much whether the X server is sitting on the same
host, or on a machine on another continent.  That's the nature of the X
beast.

There's a free X server for win32 out there called MI/X.  I'm not sure where
to find it, but it's out there on the Web somewhere.  There are several
commercial offerings as well, e.g. Exceed (http://www.hummingbird.com/).

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878