Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 07:09:45 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

Hellmuth Michaelis stands accused of saying:

> In the PC world, there is already a generic graphis driver for setting the
> state of the board available, its called BIOS. The only problem the free
> BSD's have, is to access it.

This is, of course, not really a useful solution.  Please people,
don't assume that the last decade has been devoid of programmers that
understand the PC's video subsystem - none of the ideas that have been
raised recently are original, and the fact that they haven't been
implemented should tell you something very important.

> If we could access the BIOS, it would be responsible for switching back and
> forth into the card-supported video modes, and neither the console driver
> nor the X server would have to care anymore about it.

Yeah, and you're really going to trust the BIOS on the card to work in
a non-DOS environment?  Hell, even W95 isn't that stupid.

If you're serious about using the BIOS, how about you sit down and work out
 - how to identify a 32-bit-happy VESA BIOS.
 - what external resources a sample of them require (memory assumptions,
   interrupt expectations, etc).

With those two covered, it would be possible to use the BIOS for some things,
but it's not a useful general solution.