Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 14:24:43 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Tristan Seligmann <sorc_qd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA Modem not working!!

Tristan Seligmann stated:
> --- Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
> > Add a delay in the reset.
> >
> > # AT&T Paradyne KeepInTouch 14.4 modem
> > card "AT&T Paradyne" "KeepInTouch Card"
> > 	config	0x23 "sio3" ?
> > 	reset	1000
> > 	insert	logger -t pccard:$device -s ATT Paradyne 14.4 inserted
> > 	remove	logger -t pccard:$device -s ATT Paradyne 14.4 removed
> >

> I added a "reset 1000" line to my card entry, but no luck. System still
> locks up whenever I try to cat the device or otherwise access it in any
> way (ppp etc.)
>
> I've tried switching IRQs around, so I'm pretty sure it's not an IRQ
> conflict.
>
> Any other ideas?

Tristan-

What does the output of dmesg show, in particular, the areas
around the pcic attachment.  Wether it is using a management
irq or not.  What is your kernel entry for pccard support?
What does windows say?  Does your machine have anything that
listens on the port that the modem is attaching to?  USB? sound
card?  pcic?  What are the sio entries in the kerenel config?

I would recommend:

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
device          card
device          pcic0   at isa?

# Serial (COM) ports
device         sio

and include

options PNPBIOS

This should have the pcic run in what is called polling mode (no irq),
but you can always enable one using the following line /boot/loader.conf

machdep.pccard.pcic_irq="N"

where N is a known free irq.

dmesg | grep irq

can give you some idea of where things are attaching and also where
things (esp. pci devices) are listening.

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU