Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:21:25 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation != FreeBSD sale (was Re: Netscape browser)

Steve Price wrote:

> Try as I might I can't get Netscape to record anywhere that
> I'm downloading a copy of the Linux version only to run it on
> a FreeBSD box.  This is very bad!  I download the Linux version.
> It counts towards Linux sales.  Somebody in sales mentions it
> to another company and they release a Linux version of their
> product because of bloated Linux interest numbers.  This happens
> again and again, and we arrive at where we are today - Linux
> getting all the press and support because

There is exactly the same problem when registering Corel WP8 for
Linux. I posted a message about this a while ago and someone replied
with some e-mail addresses for Corel. I sent an e-mail to them about
it but, as you might guess, I got no response.

>     Linux sales = real Linux sales + sales for emulated copies
>
> I don't know the solution to this problem.  I do know that
> using a Linux product under emulation doesn't do much to bolster
> interest (at least not from the company putting out the product)
> unless we get the numbers to count in our favor.

I suppose it's understandable that they're not interested when you
look at it from their point of view. They are only interested in
gauging how many people are using the Linux *version* of the product
so they can decide whether to continue developing it. Even though
we're using the software under FreeBSD, and want them to know it, it's
still the Linux version.

This is the same kind of situation with OS/2 Warp and Windows (3.x).
Win 3.x apps would run (often better) under Warp but how many
companies had "runs under OS/2" in their adverts or on the product
box?

If we're honest what we are looking for is some free
advocacy/advertising for FreeBSD but Netscape/Corel aren't out to
promote OSs, just sell their product. I doubt that adding "also runs
on FreeBSD" is going to do much to enhance their sales as most (all?)
FreeBSD users know that they can run Linux programs.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see "FreeBSD" everywhere "Linux"
appears on these company's websites, packaging, adverts etc. but I can
understand why it doesn't happen.