Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:57:31 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.0 RELEASE -> 4.0 STABLE = panic!

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 08:15:36AM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	I am upgrading my laptop from 3.4 STABEL to 4.0 STABLE.
>
> 	Installed .0 ELEASSE from the CD, cvsuped REL_ENG4. did a "make world"
> 	and the system panics on boot :-(
>
> 	I geuss I tried to shortcut something here. Normally I do the
> 	following:
>
> 	1. Install (CD or ftp).
> 	2. Build custom kernel (mostly striping out unused stuff).
> 	3. cvsup.
> 	4. make world
> 	5. make kernel again
> 	6. reboot.

This seems to be correct. Do not forget to run 'mergemaster' after you
finished the make world though. It comes in handy.

> 	Is this the procedure I should have followed here?
>
> 	Also, I am confused about making a kenrel in 4.x in 3.x I was able to:
>
> 	1. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> 	2. create config file.
> 	3. config COFIG_FILE
> 	4. cd ../../CONFIG_FILE/compile
> 	5. make depend
=>      5.5 make      (I presume you just forgot this.)
> 	6. make install
>
> 	This does not seem to be the documented procedure for 4.x, but it
> 	appears as though the documented procedure does this, but has more "by
> 	hand" steps in it.
>
> 	What is the correct procedure for making a kernel in 4.x?

It is the one you just enumerated above, with the one difference I noted.
If you are sure you followed all instructions, maybe you could post sepcifics
about that 'panics on boot' thing, and we may be able to help you.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University