Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:21:50 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Using libvgl in single user mode - HOW ?

I wrote 2 small programs which i want to use for a customized CD installation
The first is a loadable module and the other is a deamon which listens to
sysctl's changes.
The module creates dynamic coordinate/function variables which could be changed
from the command line, perl script / sh whatever. e.g. You fill in x1,x2,...
and a function e.g. 'Box' and then do sysctl -w jjk_vga.activate=1
It draws a box or whwatever function you need.
 .
 .
 .
compat.linux.oss_version: 198144
jjk_vga.activate: 0
jjk_vga.x1: 10
jjk_vga.y1: 150
jjk_vga.x2: 200
jjk_vga.y2: 300
jjk_vga.xbegin: 0
jjk_vga.xstop: 100
jjk_vga.ybegin: 0
jjk_vga.ystop: 0
jjk_vga.g_init: 0
jjk_vga.g_stop: 0
jjk_vga.fgcolor: 1
jjk_vga.bgcolor: 0
jjk_vga.string: This is a test program
jjk_vga.function: Box

It works great, can now use perl to write a custom installation for my allready
made custom installation CD.
My problem is :
        When i boot from CD, i go into single user mode, to partition the disks
        and if you do a 'tty' you get /dev/console
        while in multi usermode if you do a 'tty' you get /dev/ttyv0

LIBVGL works on tty's and not on /dev/console, so my program does'nt want to
initialize the graphics mode in single user mode.

I looked in /usr/src/lib/libvgl/main.c and saw references to VT_whatever, MY
question is , what must i replaced this references with, looked through cons.h,
and console.h and so on, but i cant deem to find something.

Could i instead make init use /dev/ttyv0 in single user mode ? - HOW
If i boot FreeBSD PC ( not my CD ) in single usermode boot /kernel -s, and i do
a /usr/libexec/getty and sh /etc/rc and login, my system seems in multiusermode
BUT
'tty' then also report /dev/console and my prog does'nt work

SO, it works in multiuser mode BUT not in single
And that is because 'tty' = /dev/console in single user mode
and 'tty' = /dev/ttyv0 in multi user mode

HOW DO I FIX THIS - any suggestions ??

E-Mail: Johan Kruger <jkruger@oskar.dev.nanoteq.co.za>