Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 07:34:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XWindows programing

On 11 Dec 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> > 4. Next step down is going to C, where the X calls are really written
> > in.  I'm going to suggest at this level, the Motif libraries,
> > because the widgets are written more regularly, documented much
> > better, and your choice of widgets to use is wider.  You are going
> > to have to deal with all those lousy defaults, but there is a
> > wealth of Motif code out there, and if you MUST go down to this
> > level, you'll appreciate Motif, and see why people use it.
>
> Do you object to Athena?

I *knew* I'd forget one.  Of course not, I'd put Athena as just below
Motif in the hierarchy I was forming.  Not as complete a set as Motif,
not quite as well documented, but much more easily programmed than going
straight to Xt.

I'd put it nearer to Motif than to Xt, but Motif is still a lot more
useable, don't you think?  I'm trying to keep my bias towards free
software from pushing me away from Motif, here.

> Happy hacking,
> joelh
>
> --
> Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org
>    Fourth law of programming:
>    Anything that can go wrong wi
> sendmail: segmentation violation - core dumped

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).