Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 97 6:54:47 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need definitive answer on de 21140-AC driver

> I just got ahold of a Kingston card with this chip on it.  I konw that the

Nice cards; priced around $70 (wholesale, Rod), but even the SMC version
of the card is very reasonable.

> Digital/de-driven cards have gone through a renaissance as of late and
> FreeBSD's been slow to catch up.  But I do need to know -- will this card
> work with 2.2-GAMMA or 3.0-CURRENT.  Tests show no good on 2.2 -- FreeBSD
> thinks it's a 21140A and promptly enables 100bTX on a 10MB net.  A quick
> poke through if_de.c doesn't show any references to the -AC.

When I talked to Matt Thomas, several months ago, he provided me a prototype
driver that compiled under 2.1.6R.  I beat the snot out of it and have since
been using it in production, mostly with the SMC dual port 10/100's, but
also a few other -AC cards like the Kingston.  There are a few bugs in the
driver, none of which affect the usability of the cards.

> Is there a new driver in the works?  If not, I'll gladly donate this card
> for a while if it's a matter of just getting the card to the right person.

Offered to do that too  :-)  Matt seems to have what needs doing nailed
down pretty well.  I've hinted to him several times I'd like a 2.2* driver
but so far I haven't seen one.

That's too bad because the de driver is a really cool thing to have, and
if we only support old 100mbps cards that are no longer made, well, yuck.

I suspect it's mainly a matter of getting Matt to release a version of his
code.

... Joe