Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:55:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 5.x kernel config changes?

On 30-Oct-2003 Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I just built my first 5.1-RELEASE box requiring a custom kernel, and
> noticed some interesting things.
>
> 1) It appears IPFW just works (eg, configure it in /etc/rc.conf).  It
>    used to be you had to compile it in.  What's interesting to me is
>    that IPFW options are not in generic, and I didn't think "options"
>    could be done in LKM's.  What am I missing?

It's loaded from the ipfw.ko module.  You can build modules for some
things that are compiled in using 'options'.

> 2) IPDIVERT is missing / doesn't work, so while my IPFW config seemed
>    to take/work natd did not work.  If IPFW is just going to work having
>    IPDIVERT just work seems like a good idea as well.

You will probably need to just include IPFW and IPDIVERT in your
kernel config for this to work.

> 3) There seems to be no more LINT or other listing of all the options.
>    Why?  In particular I needed "options NETATALK" but couldn't remember
>    the name and there was no file to quickly grep.  Has the list of
>    options been moved somewhere else?

sys/conf/NOTES and sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES

> 4) Due to the way the makefiles now work it seems impossible to build a
>    new kernel after changing just "options" statements and install it
>    without also rebuilding all the modules...which takes quite some
>    time.  This seems to be because it moves the whole directory out of
>    the way in /boot.  This seems a little suboptimal to me.

You can add 'makeoptions NO_MODULES=yes' to your kernel config to have
it only build a kernel and no modules.