Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 02:59:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, rivers@dignus.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

>  It's in there; believe me (I'm the manager for C/C++ compiler development
>  at SAS Institute...)

FreeBSD port of all SAS language tools... when?

8-) 8-).

>  An ANSI conforming implementation would be correct in generating the
>  output
> 	i is 5
>  as the compiler, per the rules above, doesn't have to note the aliasing
>  that occured when the stored value of 'i' was incorrectly referenced.

Any opportunity for a language construct that lets them backhandedly
bitch about the exclusion of "noalias", just because humans have to be
able to follow the code and the "volatile" people got their baby in
and it has the same type of "tell the compiler how to compile using
the source code instead of it figuring it out for itself" logic...

8-) 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---