Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 18:46:28 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd & utmp

Alan Batie writes:
> I've installed the latest getty w/ ppp detection, and it's working great.
> I added some minor hacks to pppd as a result, in order to get utmp updated
> as well (instead of just wtmp, as it currently does).  It's enabled with
> the "utmp" option.  I'd like to add something that identifies them as
> being ppp users

Hmm, I had the opposite problem with mgetty recently (which I use
for other reasons - namely I need/want to monitor and initialise
modems rather than use them in 'dumb' mode, which I do not trust,
and I want "manual" answer rather than auto-answer).

Users were shown in utmp as "ppp" and not by their correct logins.
Needless to say, I found this particularly useless for accounting
purposes, so I immediately disabled it. Looks like I may have
overlooked an option, so thanks for the pointer. :)

> 1.  put "ppp" in the hostname field
> 2.  put the hostname associated with the assigned IP address in the hostname
>     field (this feels "most" correct, but is more work)

Actually, that'd be the most useful imho. And, yep, having
written perl code to translate utmp to a list of IP's, it
is a fair amount or work. It may be easier within pppd
though.

> Likewise, pppd just shows up in ps as being "root" and "pppd"; you have to
> look at the tty then run w to see who it is.  I'm thinking of having pppd
> modify it's arguments to show the user as argv[1], but I'm not sure how to
> do that safely.  Do you just change the argv[1] pointer value?

man setproctitle().

If you do this, make it optional. Putting at least the username and IP
address in there would be handy.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freefall.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/