Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:24:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Phil Homewood <pdh@snapgear.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/ufs/ffs ffs_softdep.c

    No, this reference is related to downgrading a RW filesystem
    into a RO filesystem.  There was a softupdates bug related
    to that type of operation.  It was fixed in -stable but was too late
    for the release.  If you compile the latest -stable kernel the
    RW/RO downgrade bug should disappear.

    At the moment 'sync' does not completely sync a softupdates filesystem.
    You have to run it a bunch of times.  It's because sync only makes one
    pass through the buffer cache and that isn't enough to unwind all the
    dependancies.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Valentin Nechayev wrote:
:> I think the bug history is longer that supposed, and some explicit checks
:> should be added.
:>
:> OTOH it is very strange that softupdates code doesn't react on sync().
:> At least, IMO, sync() should stimulate softupdates code to flush more quickly.
:> As a variant, old ("asynchronous") Unix sync() behavior can be restored
:> when sync() stimulates flushing, but doesn't return while previous flushing
:> is in progress.
:
:Could this bug be related to what I and Bill Triplett described in
:
:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=13966+0+archive/2002/freebsd-stable/20020203.freebsd-stable
:
:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=849071+0+archive/2002/freebsd-stable/20020203.freebsd-stable
:
:?
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
: