Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:56:51 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I'm rather annoyed with -current.

> Not only has the thread_init race problem still NOT been fixed (try a
> make world in -current using a 2.1-RELEASE system as the base - it
> will fall over!) but today we have this new problem:
>
> ===> lib/librpcsvc
> cc -O -pipe -I/usr/include/rpcsvc -c klm_prot_xdr.c -o klm_prot_xdr.o
> In file included from klm_prot_xdr.c:6:
> /usr/include/rpcsvc/klm_prot.h:10: parse error before `xdr_klm_stats'
> /usr/include/rpcsvc/klm_prot.h:10: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> /usr/include/rpcsvc/klm_prot.h:15: parse error before `netobj'
> /usr/include/rpcsvc/klm_prot.h:15: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
>
> I'm not even particularly sure how to fix this one, either.  The
> header file that's generated here certainly doesn't include the
> required header files itself, and blowing away /usr/include/rpcsvc
> and trying to repopulate it from scratch didn't help.

Both of these problems are due to ordering problems in the Makefile,
which can be fixed in the 'world' target, but don't really fit into the
current model used.

You need to build and install rpcgen *before* the include files are
built.  There is also a dependency problem with either the libraries or
the crt0.o file (I don't remember which one is first.)

It basically boils down to the fact that we *should* be building the
sources out of the src tree and not out of the stuff in
/usr/{lib|include} etc...  (Which I've argued against in the past as
un-necessary and complex, but I think we've now reached critical mass
and require it.)

> I haven't been able to build -stable for several weeks now - is it
> just me, managing to try it on every single day that the tree is
> broken?  I'm about to give up on the whole idea of a 2.2-SNAP, to be
> honest! :-(

I haven't tried -stable yet, but I may get time today. :)

Nate