Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 07:29:01 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two FBSD slices on one disk - losing mountpoints?

*sigh*

The further I go, the behinder I get. I'm re-arranging your reply a
little here...

On Feb 02, at 07:22 AM, Michael Lucas wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 06:07:15AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
>
> > > This will give you the necessary warm fuzzies to know you aren't
> > > blowing up your system.
> > Then, after installation in ad0s1 is done and it's running, re-'disklabel'
> > the partitions in ad0s2 to their proper names?
>
> I gathered from your original message that you wanted two separate
> installs of FreeBSD on this one disk.  Is this not the case?

Right! That's where I'm even more confused now...

> > > You cannot have two mount points of the same name at the same time.  Try this:
> > >    unmount ad0s2a / ; remount ad0s2a / as oldroot
> > >    unmount ad0s2f /usr ; remount ad0s2f /oldusr
> > >    umount ad0s2e /var ; remount ad0s2e /oldvar
> >
> > You mean while running FBSD in ad0s2, or while in 'sysinstall' on booting
> > the 4.5-REL install CD?
>
> While booting the 4.5 CD.
>
>         [SNIP]
>
> You will also want to be sure to "toggle newfs" off on these existing
> partitions, so that the new install doesn't overwrite them!  Gah, I
> haven't had coffee either!

:-)

This I already gathered. Make sure that "Y" in the "Newfs" column is set
only in ad0s1's (the new slice's) partitions.

> You cannot have two like-named partitions in a single OS instance.

But I can have two like-named partitions (we both mean "mountpoints" here)
across different slices?

--------------

GAAAAA... gasp gasp...

OK, let me re-cap, and then tell me where I'm wrong:

- Boot the 4.5-REL CD, and [re-]allocate a slice for the new install
  in 'fdisk'. Leave all other slices as they are.
- Move on to 'disklabel', and set up the new partitions in that new
  slice. Whether 'disklabel' forces me to 'cuz I've allocated new
  like-named mountpoints, or I pre-empt that limitation, re-name the
  mountpoints of existing FBSD slice's partitions to something else.
  Per a reply from David Wolfskill, mnemonics like "/S2", "/S2/usr"
  for the second slice's mountpoints keeps things organised (**1).
- Make certain the "Y" in the "newfs" column is set only in the new
  slice's partitions (**2).
- Close my eyes and pray as I commit these changes.

(**1) These mountpoint names are written to the new slice's /etc/fstab
      only; in any other existing FBSD slice, I have to manually add
      this new slice's partitions and mountpoints, as "/S1", etc., to
      the existing slice's /etc/fstab.
(**2) This is the only thing that governs what slice and partition
      'sysinstall' deals with? Or do mountpoint names play a role, too?

> No problem, hope this helps.

Sorry to be so thick-headed and anal. I'm one of those people that need
to see the big picture in order to work on a little piece of it.

> Michael Lucas

Dave

--