Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:47:13 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R on a amd386dx/40

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Stephen McKay scribbled this message on Oct 21:
> > On Wednesday, 21st October 1998, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >
> > >Stephen McKay scribbled this message on Oct 21:
> > >
> > >well, it doesn't matter...  as I told another person, the problem is
> > >that the binaries FAIL on a 2.2.1-R system... and this is a system that
> > >runs systat perfectly fine...  so the problem isn't the floating point..
> > >
> > >and the 3.0-R newfs fails on his new 2.2.6-R install that we just did
> > >tonight...   so I KNOW it's not a math emulation problem...
> >
> > Oh, I missed the "on 2.2.1" bit.  Answer is simple: don't do that.
> >
> > The only scenario I can think of is that you've built 3.0 from source under
> > 2.2.x and then run the 3.0 progs from the obj directories.  Again, don't
> > do that.
> >
> > Run 3.0 binaries on a 3.0 system and you'll have a better time of it.
>
> that's the WHOLE PROBLEM!!! 3.0 binaries on a 3.0-R kernel from the
> 3.0-R bin dist don't run!!!
>
> I'll quote from another message that I sent about this problem:
> no, this isn't an upgrade...  what we were doing is that he was going to
> switch to a new hard drive, but he has files on the old one... so we did
> a manual install of 3.0-R from 2.2.1-R...  once we had everything up and
> running we built a kernel on my 3.0-R system and booted the system... it
> failed when it tried to fsck the system... it would fail to newfs and df
> would also fail...
>
> I then tried to run the newfs binary under 2.2.1-R and it would start
> exectution perfectly fine, but would crash at the same point that it would
> under 3.0-R...

Yes, it seems the 3.0 ELF gas encodes some size override prefixes on some
instructions that causes math_emulate.c (all the way back to the dark ages)
to fall over.  It's the new binaries that are tripping up the standard
emulator.

Damn, I wish the 3.0 floppies had a kld kernel. :-)  We could have just
told people to load the other emulator which worked (apart from the typo
that prevented loading - but this would have been found in better testing).

> yes, I know it seems strange to run 3.0-R binaries on such an old release,
> but FreeBSD has supported ELF binaries for the longest time, and the newfs
> binary is a staticly linked binary, so it requires NO libraries from the
> 3.0-R world to run...  so it would run perfectly fine..

2.2.1 should run 3.0 ELF binaries pretty well.

Cheers,
-Peter