Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:17:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        jdiesel@iee.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk, answers ...

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Jason Diesel wrote:

> In your first mail, you mention the slave and master disks. I had a
> lot of problems with this, especially after looking at the conner
> home page on the net, and saw that you cannot always add a second HDD
> to a system that contains a conner HDD (especially the older ones) so
> I removed it, and now only have the one.

I seem to remember some compatibility issues between Maxtor and Connor
disks, which are solved if you reverse the order of the disks.

> I did boot with the -c option, and have tried both the visual
> interfaces and the normal one. One thing I did notice, is the "probe"
> feature is not in the 2.1.0 release, although the doc says so! I
> think that would be a clue. Maybe I should try the 2.0.5 release to
> see if it can find my missing things.

?? I don't understand.  My system probes just fine.  The "probing" is on
startup, when the kernel goes through your devices and gets information
about them.  It does it automatically.  Also, the kernel won't probe in
-c until you "exit" from it.

> However, does anyone know of any problems with these multi I/O cards
> causing conflicts and so on? I have a feeling that FreeBSD is trying
> to manipulate the card in such a way that it cannot recognise
> something, why else would I loose my serial ports only with FreeBSD
> booting, but not with DOS.

Shouldn't, as long as they are decently compatible and aren't conflicting
with another system device.  Whacky hardware is a different story
entirely :)  Conflicts can ususally be solved by changing the
configuration jumpers on the card.  I have such a card in this box right
now with the ide and floppy controllers disabled, using it as a spare
parallel port.  That is my guess to your missing sio ports problem.