Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:13:43 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Izwan Mohd <zuan@mylinux.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network keep droping

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR

On 2008-Jun-05 12:27:19 +0800, Izwan Mohd <zuan@mylinux.net.my> wrote:
>The server using FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE the NIC is intel i can't remember the
>model but freebsd detect it as "em0" the server memory is 1GB, not special
>network fetures it only running snort and nessus

6.0-RELEASE is very old and no longer supported.  There have been lots
of bug-fixes since then.  I suggest you include an upgrade to 6.3/6.4 or
7.0/7.1 in your forward planning.

The em(4) device is quite well supported and maintained (by an Intel
employee).  There have been major changes to em(4) included in 6.3 and
7.0 and these may correct the problem you are seeing.

My initial recommendation would be that you try 6.3 (or 7.0).

If that is impractical, you may be able to upgrade the em driver to
whilst retaining the rest of your 6.0 system - I haven't tried that
but I don't see anything in UPDATING that would rule it out.  [The
approach would be to checkout a RELENG_6_0_0_RELEASE kernel then
update sys/dev/em to RELENG_6_3 and build a new kernel].

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR--