Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:15:00 +0100
From:      James Mansion <james@westongold.com>
To:        "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

M.R.Murphy wrote:

> Are these comments from practice of experience or from theory of experience?

Largely from numerous sad experiences relying on version 1.0s in the
past.

I'm just a pissed off cynical old goat, and I like other people to do
the
bleeding. ;-)

I'm also very wary of the subtle nature of thread related bugs.  For
example,
a gentleman posted some code here that he claimed implemented fast
semaphores
and that had been stable for ages.  But it has fundamental race
conditions
in it.

So I'd look for a very long gestation and testing period, much as I
would
with a DBMS.

If you think about it, lots of people ran Solaris 2.x for a while, some
quite successfully, but for threaded and SMP use it was pretty awful
until
2.4 patch something or other.

And people ran various NT and W95 versions for a long time prior to
release, some very successfully, but that didn't make them perfect
either.

(Tell me about it.  Is WinCE 1.0 finished?  Like hell.  Pah.)

--
Westongold Ltd                 C++/Java