Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:42:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current ready for prime time web server ?

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Jacques Vidrine wrote:

> On 9 December 1998 at 16:39, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> [snip]
> > >Well, why not rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE like it says?
> >
> > Hi,
> >Thanks for responding... I thought I had to rebuild STABLE as well no ? I
> > am just worried that would introduce other problems.  Also, other recent
> > postings in questions suggest that this is not done easily.
>
> You need only recompile Apache, not the OS.  It is quite easily done..
> just define FD_SETSIZE before including <sys/types.h>.  A reasonable

Exactly.

In Apache's case, it will reserve a few low descriptors for other
libraries that may need them and shouldn't be calling any library
functions that will end up with high numbered descriptors and that can't
handle them.

The situation is the same on 3.0, only the default is 1024 or something
like that which is more reasonable.