Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 11:55:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation scripting fix to be committed to 5.x and 4.x wednesday

    There's another good reason to MFC the linux patch on wednesday...
    that is, to do it at the same time the SMP cleanup is MFC'd, and that
    is because both patch sets require the linux kernel module to be
    recompiled and I'd rather not force people to do that twice.

    The SMP patchset, in fact, requires that all kernel modules be
    recompiled due to the locks that were removed from the spl*() macros.
    This is something I would contemplate doing for 4.0->4.1, but not
    something I would consider for 4.1 onward.  Even though 4.0 is the
    most stable .0 release we've ever had, it's still a .0.

    I wonder if it makes sense to add a release id to the module header
    and have the module loader refuse (unless forced) to load modules that
    are out-of-date with the kernel?

						    -Matt