Date:      Wed, 07 May 2003 08:55:46 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Chris McGee <chris@xecu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW Bandwidth throttling?

Chris McGee wrote:

> I am trying to limit outgoing SMTP traffic to about 14 Mbps and these are
> the IPFW rules I am using.
>
>         ${fwcmd} add pipe 1 tcp from 192.168.0.0/24 to any 25 out via dc0
>         ${fwcmd} pipe 1 config bw 14Mbit/s
>
> I've tried multiple tweaks to the pipe rule and I seem to be missing
> something.  I only get about half the bandwidth I specify.  Is this normal
> behavior?  Is there something wrong with the rule I'm running?

The pipe config & pipe rule look correct.

Try 'ipfw pipe list' to confirm the pipe is configured for the correct
bandwidth and not dropping excessive amounts of packets.

Is dc0 configured for 100Mbps or 10Mbps?  7Mbps is close to the ceiling
for a 10Mbps link.

Are you sure you have ~2MBps worth of smtp traffic to pass when you're
watching?  If you increase the bandwidth on the pipe do you see more
than the ~7Mbps you're currently seeing?

good luck,
 greg