Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 16:19:08 +0200
From:      Christoph Moench-Tegeder <cmt@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Traffic shaping

## Daniel O'Connor (doconnor@gsoft.com.au):

> Actually, if you limit incoming TCP it will adapt to the correct speed.
> I do this at home without hassle (except the latency in games goes up
> from ~40 to ~100 but it is still acceptable)

How much do you have to limit TCP for the desired effect? I never
tried shaping on asymmetric lines, and the traffic ratio for a
single TCP bulk transfer (1500 (or little less in case of PPPoE,
PPTP, etc.) bytes incoming vs. 40 bytes outgoing) does not match
the up/down-ratio of his line (1:6) by any means.

Regards,
cmt

--
Spare Space