Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 11:36:48 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   wc* routines

Hello,

I have posted this message last night, but apparently it never made it through.
My apologies if this is a duplicate. (And, BTW, if it isn't, this is my first
post to this list.)

Because John Fieber no longer has the time to work on the wc* routines for
FreeBSD C library, I offered to continue his work, and started doing so
two days ago.

I have created a web page dedicated to informing you of the progress of this
work. I would like to receive comments and suggestions about anything I post
there. I would like to receive those comments here rather than in private mail,
so we can get input from others.

At the present, the page contains some introduction to what wc* routines are
for, as well as the headers <wchar.h> and <wctype.h>. I also created an
additional, system specific, header which I called <machine/wcdef.h>. I would
like your input on whether the contents of this header belong there, or should
be moved to <machine/ansi.h>, or perhaps whether its name should be changed,
and such.

I started with the headers because it does not seem to make much sense to me
to work on the code without good headers. Also, what belongs inside those
headers is pretty much defined by standards, so they were fairly easy to
write. :-)

Additionally, I know that David Cross is working on several of the wc*
routines, so having common headers is probably a good thing.

Again, please let me know what you think of the headers, so I can submit
them.

Also, please, if anyone else is doing work in this area, let me know, so
we can coordinate our efforts. If you want your current code posted on the
page, send it to me.

Anyway, the page is at http://www.whizkidtech.net/i18n/wc/ or if you just
want the headers, get wc.tar.gz from the same URL. I will keep changing
the contents of that file (and of the page) as I have more work done.

Adam

P.S. I mention certain problems with Unicode on the page, problems that
require big lookup tables. If you have any suggestions about solving those
problems, fire away!