Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 1996 20:51:51 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Zappa & PCI

On Jan 1, 10:25, Frank Durda IV wrote:
} [0]Is this a serious problem?   What does the class=bridge[not supported]
} [0]mean?
}
} [1]The confusing `not supported' message has been changed meanwhile into
} [1]`no driver assigned'.  This is not a problem, since the BIOS usually
} [1]has initialized the device, it's only telling that FreeBSD doesn't
} [1]provide any handling of its own for it.
}
} Perhaps we should change the message to "using hardware defaults" or
} "no special handling" or just don't say anything at all if we aren't doing
} anything special.
}
} Both "Not Supported" and "No driver assigned" sound a lot like something isn't
} supported or configured properly (ie, perhaps the kernel could not find the
} driver on disk, etc.).  This looks like a question-generator to me.

Well, the "no driver assigned" means just this.
There is no way to know, whether this is a problem or not.

There are PCI devices which are (currently) treated as if they
were on the ISA bus (and those will be logged with that message,
if no special precautions are taken).

Then there are CPU and PCI support chips, which have to be
initialized for POST to complete, and there is no use having
drivers for them.

I'll probably make the "no driver assigned" message go away
for all kinds of support chips (CPU to PCI bridge, standard
ISA peripherals, ...), since those can be identified by their
PCI class code. (This is already done for PCI graphics cards.)

If there are PCI devices being operated in ISA compatibility
mode, then there should be a dummy probe in "ign_probe()" in
file "/sys/pci/pcisupport.c". This will make the misleading
message go away ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160