Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:29:00 +1000
From:      "Hallam Oaks P/L list account" <maillist@oaks.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS zone xfers from random(?) sites

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:30:39 +0100, Neil Long wrote:

>I would be willing to bet a beer that this is a direct consequence of
>the release of 'mscan' - check out www.rootshell.com or just about any
>exploit site.

[snip]

>see what is 'on offer' and then change the default telnetd banner

Fortunately I don't have telnet at all any more (SSH only) so that's not an
issue. I'll look at getting mscan and seeing what it finds.

As for your other suggestion, your are 100% correct (sorry I can't give you
the beer :).

The systems admin of the university from which the probes occurred has
confirmed to me that a student has had his account suspended (and is being
investigated for possible expulsion) after using this tool from his own
account (!) on one of their annexes to scan a large range of hosts within
.au.

Thanks for your help,

-- Chris
   Hallam Oaks P/L