Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:19:14 -0600
From:      "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildreth@allantgroup.com>
To:        euroABITOFJUNK@i.com.ua
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What type of hardware are you using?

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 14:52 +0100, Eugene Rogoza wrote:
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:53:53 -0600
> > From: "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildreth@allantgroup.com>
> > Subject: What type of hardware are you using?
> > To: FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
> >
> > At home, my machine is a 1 GHZ, with 768 mb of memory.  I use xfce4,
> > evolution, firefox, gnome-office, ...etc.  It seems that with every
> > upgrade, the 1GHZ cpu is not enough power anymore.  I use evolution
> > at work, but I am trying Thunderbird at home now.  The new evolution
> > is too slow on my home server.  Thunderbird is better (less cpu
> > intensive), but not snappy by any means.  Plus I miss some of the
> > features of Evolution, but this is straying from my question.  Has
> > anyone else noticed this issue or is everyone else running on faster
> > processors?
> >
> >                                Thanks,
> >                                   STH
> > --
> > Scott T. Hildreth <shildreth@allantgroup.com>
> >

> Hi,
>
> I am using Dell Inspiron 700m laptop
> (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/entnb_700m?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn)
>
> Intel Pentium-M Dothan 2.00 GHz
> 512 MB RAM
> Intel i810 video
> 80GB harddisk
>
> I have both FreeBSD 6.0/GNOME 2.12 and Windows XP on the same machine.
> Should say that Windows works way faster.
>
> On FreeBSD the heavy things are:
>
> Evolution (very heavy, especially with spamd)

  I was trying Thunderbird and noticed that the spam filter seemed much
  faster.  I need evolution at work, for the calendar feature (accepting
  and setting up meetings).   I am currently running 2.2.2 which is quite
  zippy on the poweredge I have at my desk.  I upgraded my box at home with
  the latest Evolution & a 2.93 GHz processor, much faster on the new processor
  but still is a little slow.

> GNOME start menu (it is being "calculated" from .desktop-files, thank
> god just once)

  I use Xfce, so I haven't had to deal with this.

> Nautilus (although I have all the previews switched off)
>
> Firefox works tolerably (I would say a bit slower than IE in WinXP).

  I've never had a problem with Firefox, even on my 1 GHz machine.

--
Scott T. Hildreth <shildreth@allantgroup.com>