Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:52:37 -0500
From:      Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Well I read the stuff, and I get it now.

At 12:15 AM 2/18/2001 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
>Seth Leigh wrote:
>Basically all returns from the kernel to the user process might go first
>via the UTS (Userland Thread Scheduler). This includes page faults and
>interrupts of some types. We have not completely decided how many

>[snip]

>The saved state of the thread (when a timer interrupt completes and
>retunr is sent back to the UTS) is made to b ecompatible with all
>stopped threads so that the interrupted thread looks like all the
>other runnable threads, and the UTS can simply decide which to
>restart.

Ah, ok, I get it.  So you are saying anytime the kernel takes over control
on any given processor, the means of the kernel giving control back when
it's done doing whatever it was doing would be to upcall back to the
process in the context of that scheduler activation, allowing the threads
library to be able to make the decision of whether to keep running that
thread or not?  That's pretty darn cool.

Guys, I am very interested in this whole thing.  It's making me want to
pull out my old Cyrix 166 and install the lastest and greatest FreeBSD on
it (it currently isn't running, and has 2.2.1 on it...) so I can try to get
up to the code you guys are on and see if I can help out.  I am brand
spanking new to kernel stuff, so I am not making any promises.  I have been
paying attention to a lot of kernel talk, and reading some books and such,
so I have a reasonable idea of how a lot of stuff works, at least at a high
level.  It will take me a while after I start delving into code to *really*
get it, and be able to be helpful.  Unfortunately I don't have a working
FreeBSD machine right now.  The hardware is there, just the software is way
out of date and no longer properly configured.  My 1 ghz AMD t-bird is
running Win2K and Solaris 8 (well, the machine *was* running Solaris 8
until I upgraded to a new motherboard 3 weeks ago, I haven't booted back up
into Solaris 8 yet since the upgrade since I don't know how well it's going
to work since the device tree must look different now).

Maybe I could get two more hard drives (there are already three in the
machine) so I could install Linux and FreeBSD on it too.  Yeah, that's the
idea.

Seth