Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:06:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Dmitry Mottl <dima@sinp.msu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache question

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Dmitry Mottl wrote:

> Hi, All
>
> I have to configure www virtual hosts under Apache
> and I need that all virtual hosts have NO access (through cgi execution) to each
> other.
>
> Is it good to start up proxy on 80 and
> about 100-300 backend httpd (each under it's own uid and gid),
> which will be paged in (from swap) if connection is requested.
>
> Is there a better solution?
>
> It seems that suexec apache mechanism will no help,
> cause I have to give hosters GID to access there files,
> so I can't specify properly permissions due to UNIX file security (uuugggooo).
> In this case I need to choose if GID=wwwguest or GID=hoster
>
> May be to set up a patch to use UFS extended attributes? (www.trustedbsd.org)
> I'm using FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE

This is an interesting problem, certainly; as you point out, the httpd
process owner/group needs to be able to view files in all virtual hosts;
CGI scripts in each must not.

I'd say you should be able to do this with a combination of suExec
(with a different uid/gid for each virtual host) - although it might
need tinkering with to get the directory restrictions it needs correct -
and ACLs on the top of each virtual host's cgi-bin.

and Nostradamus never dreamed of the Church of the Accellerated Worm