Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 10:21:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 driver (again)

All,

I'm having trouble with my old Yamaha OPL based ISA soundcard. It used to
work flawlessly, but now as Don, I get `bursty' sound.

Most pronounced effect is when using `rvplayer'. If I open rvplayer and
click to play a sound clip everything is just peachy until I move the
mouse, causing a window to autoraise or some such (basically generating X
activity) at which point the clip starts `bursting'. For fun I tried
running rvplayer with `rtprio'. Folks don't try this at home :) . The clip
plays flawlessly _but_ my machine is completely locked up for the
duration.

Further, when playing short clips through `nas', I typically only get to
hear one burst of the clip. The effect is kind of like what one hears when
cruising for tunes using an old AM `dial' radio.

Interestingly enough, mpg123 and xanim seem unaffected.

Here's how my card is currently detected -

pcm0: <Yamaha SA2> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x330-0x331,0x370-0x371 irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0
Yamaha: ver 0x21 DMA config 0x84
pcm: setmap 30000, ff00; 0xc77e9000 -> 30000
pcm: setmap 40000, ff00; 0xc77f9000 -> 40000
unknown0: <OPL3-SAX Sound Board> at port 0x201 on isa0

If I'm not mistaken the old pcm preferred MSS emulation for this card. Is
it possible that the new pcm tries to use SB emulation ? I ask because I
know my SB emulation settings for this card are _wrong_. With old pcm,
this didn't appear to matter, but with new pcm, hmmmm. Something to try
out I guess when I get home tonight :) ..

Andrew.
--
+--
| Andrew Atrens                 Nortel Networks, Ottawa, Canada. |