Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Long <james@museum.rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ida0: can't allocate memory resources (Compaq 431 controller)

I am trying to install 4.2-RELEASE on a Compaq 1600R
(dual PIII-500) with 512M and a Smart Array 431 RAID
controller (rev. A) attached to a RAID 5 array of
three 18G drives.  The controller is detected okay,
but I get the message:

ida0: can't allocate memory resources
device_probe_and_attach: ida0 attach returned 12

If I try to proceed with a Standard installation,
I get a message saying that no drives have been
detected and that I should check to see that my
controller was probed properly.

Thinking that it might be a memory resource con-
flict, I checked the hardware detection phase to
see if another device was conflicting, but I did
not find any conflicts.  The neighboring memory
resources were found at:

device	i/o		memory			irq

tl0	2c00-2c0f	c6ffcdf0-c6ffcdff	9

sym0	2000-20ff	c6fff000-c6ffffff	10
sym0			c6ffcf00-c6ffcfff

sym1	2400-24ff	c6ffe000-c6ffefff	11
sym1			c6ffce00-c6ffceff

ida0	2800-28ff	c6ffd000-c6ffdfff	5

I have updated the controller firmware to v1.18
and the 1600R BIOS to 4.14A without any improvement
on this issue.

How can I get FreeBSD to initialize the controller
successfully, so that it will see the RAID array
onto which I wish to install?