Date:      	Sun, 20 Sep 1998 19:40:08 -0400
From:      David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dholland@cs.toronto.edu, tlambert@primenet.com, peter@netplex.com.au, jabley@clear.co.nz, freebsd@xaa.iae.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF ldconfig

 > > There's a linker option to use when building libraries that
 > > eliminates this problem. In my opinion, it should be the default, but
 > > it's not, because that's not how Solaris does it or some crap like
 > > that.

I can't find in my mail archives the argument I remember having over
this, and I also can't find an option that does this in GNU ld's
documentation. Grr. (Not that the binutils documentation is probably
up to date or anything.) I'm quite sure I remember being told it was
possible, though.

You can at least make sure that required other libraries get linked by
adding them to the link line when building a shared library.

I'm going to poke around and see what I can find.

 > I would be interested in this.  I know that FreeBSD's old a.out
 > linker is architecturally incapable of enforcing symbol existance
 > at link time so that ld.so doesn't have to, at load time, without
 > about 40 hours (which I don't have) of hacking.

Note that ld.so still has to, in general, because the libraries ld.so
sees may not be the same ones that ld saw, and might be lacking the
symbols whether or not they were originally present.

--
   - David A. Holland             | (please continue to send non-list mail to
     dholland@cs.utoronto.ca      | dholland@hcs.harvard.edu. yes, I moved.)