Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 23:23:32 -0600
From:      "Stephen Hurd" <deuce@lordlegacy.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <herlan_b@infofreebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: can't posting in  freebsd-*

> I already subscribed to freebsd-* ( questions, security, newbies and
stable) mailing list and > > I'm able to  receive email from those.
Unfortunatelly, somehow everytime I try to send
> email to the mailing list itself it never shows up in the mailing list.
> Is there something wrong?

Quite possibly, your mail server doesn't have a valid reverse lookup record.
If this is the case, you'll have the same problem I did originally - You can
read, but not post... you whould get a message in 24 hours or so saying
something like: Mail Undeliverable and containing lines that look like:

>>> RCPT To:<questions@freebsd.org>
<<< 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
<questions@freebsd.org>... Deferred: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find
your hostname, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

There's only three solutions to this:
1) Get on your ISPs back... annoy the hell out of them until they fix it.
2) Switch ISPs to one that DOES have a reverse-lookup for their mail server

OR (And this is the trickiest option)

3) If they have a valid reverse lookup for their users, but none for the
mail server (Don't laugh, I've seen this) set up your own SMTP server using
sendmail, and send all your mail through it.  If your using the FreeBSD
system as a NAT box or something, you'll have to allow it to relay from your
local network... and ONLY your local network.  If you allow anyone else to
relay, they will.