Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 23:54:42 -0400
From:      Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: many cheap PC164 boards -- gret for NetBSD (fwd)

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 06:48:31PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:06:34 +0930
>  Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>  > I got a reply from Jason Thorpe telling me the error of my ways.  He
>  > tells me that this was a *NetBSD* offer, and that Thor would not sell
>  > a board to a FreeBSD user if they asked him for it.  I sincerely
>  > regret my indiscretion and apologize to all who may have been offended
>  > by it.
>
> No, I didn't say that...

I have no trouble believing that Jason didn't say that -- he's not an idiot,
and he's not a liar, and that's not what I said to him, so I have no problem
believing that it's not what he said to you.

Considering the bizarre and suspicious email I've gotten from all kinds of
people -- all FreeBSD/alpha types AFAICT -- seemingly angry with me because
I didn't *personally* respond to them in under a day while I was being
swamped with orders I didn't know if I could handle or not from people on
a mailing-list I didn't send the original email to (among other reasons,
because I didn't know if I could get enough boards), I have no trouble
believing that whatever Jason actually said is being misrepresented.

The situation is as I said in my email responding to Jordan  -- which I sent
a copy of to this list! -- I am trying to find out how many boards I can
get, and at exactly what price, and I will fill orders until I am out of
boards.

Most of the NetBSD developers who have asked for boards are my personal
friends and I'm going to make sure that (within reason) I fill their orders.
They also, coincidentally, ordered *first*, since they actually read the
mailing list I sent the original email to, as opposed to the one it was
forwarded to by someone else.

I'll gladly fill other orders after I've done that.  *Right now* I don't
anticipate running out of boards, but I really don't know and I haven't had
time to finish negotiating with the vendor because I'm getting barraged with
email, much of it demanding an immediate response.

When the boards are shipped, whatever (very small, I expect) amount of money
is left after I take out to cover my adminstrative expenses will be donated
to The NetBSD Foundation.  I've intended to do that all along.  If you have
a problem with _that_, all I can say to you is "who's the OS bigot now?"

Okay?  Will you all stop spreading these preposterous rumors already?

Like I'm doing all this to "get" somebody.  Really.  Sure.  Right.  Like I
have time for that kind of nonsense.  If you had any idea how much of my
time (and money, I might add -- I have to pay for the boards in *cash*)
this is taking up, I think you'd quickly discard that idea.

Man.  You try to do someone(s) a favor, and...

Thor