Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2007 04:48:34 +0300
From:      Toomas Pelberg <toomas@detalem.cq.hk>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pfctl -i

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 17:13 -0700, Jon Simola wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Toomas Pelberg <toomas@detalem.cq.hk> wrote:
> > pfctl man page says:
> >
> > -i interface
> >              Restrict the operation to the given interface.
> >
> > ..what exactly is meant under the word "operation" ?
>
> This would be one of those things that is obvious once you've seen an example
> and thought about it for a while.
>
> $sudo pfctl -si |grep -A1 State
> State Table                          Total             Rate
>   current entries                    34056
> $sudo pfctl -i vlan170 -ss |wc -l
>     1172

So -i only works in combination with -s ? If so, i think it should be
mentioned
in the man page.

> In this case, only show states bound to the vlan170 interface.
>
> > My problem: I want to load a different ruleset for each interface
> > ( jails ) and not care about what's in the ruleset as long as it doesn't
> > affect anything outside the jail ( which is bound to a specific ip on a
> > seperate interface )
>
> You probably want to look into anchors.

While I can use an anchor to limit to the interface, it's an rather ugly
hack.
Care to show an elegant solution how to anchor unspecified number of
user rules?

I could just as well pass over the supplied ruleset with an perl script
that skips
any rules not starting with pass/block in/out on jail_interface.

pfctl -i & -f combo would've been great for this purpose.