Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:14:11 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        steve.gailey@db.com
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 600

[ Moved to -mobile only ]

> Has anyone had any success installing FreeBSD 3.X on one of
> these beasts?

Yes, my trials were discussed on this mailinsg list (although it was for
2.2, but the problems are the same).

> The machine just hangs and needs a physical reset during the
> probes, just after finding the CD. I have tried disabling not required
> for the install, but without any success.
>
> I am booting FreeBSD 3.3, from floppy (CD didn't work as it got
> confused about the disks). It does find the Hdd and CD-ROM ok,
> but hangs after that.

Remove any memory you have over 64MB, and you can install it fine.
Then, once you get it installed, you must build yourself a custom kernel
that has MAXMEM listed as the same number as what prints in the
upper-left corner at bootup, or if you don't remember, multiple the
amount of memory * 1024 and then subtract 1024.

So, on my box, I have 128 * 1024 - 1024, or 127*1024 listed in my MAXMEM
line.

Build and install the new kernel, and before booting into it, install
your memory and all will be well....

Nate