Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:40:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail Servers On Free-BSD

I e-mailed Procmail's lists, and got a few answers, but I would like to
hear what other BSD-users/coders have to say, as they have helped me out
so much in the past.

We need a new mail server. BSD platform, that will handle over 10k users.

I do *want* to run Sendmail. As I am somewhat familer with it's inner
workings. I have tried QMail's SMTP however I just, ... do not like it
(perhaps I do not know it, perhaps I do not want to know it, but it's just
not in my taste right now).

I have been told, that you do not want to run QPopper. It is soposedly
very very slow.

Now, I have seen this in fact. A SunOS server with QPopper and sendmail --
they have all mail in /var/mail, and their mail server IS slow. Well, it's
no wonder that it is slow, as they have over 9k users in /var/mail. Would
that not slow down I/O to the point where it is noticible?

In QPopper, there is a way to make the structure like this:

/var/mail/a/a/
/var/mail/a/b/
/var/mail/a/c/
etc. so that the user 'test' would be put in:
/var/mail/t/e/test

However, the local mail delivery agent, in this case procmail, I do not
belives supports this, so it's not going to work.

I was told by ProcMail's list that I should run qmail-pop3d as my pop3
server, and on top of that, was told that is mearly because of the I/O
speed in /var/mail if everyone is there.

HOWEVER.. In Qpopper and procmail, I can set it in such a way that they
will be delivered to their home directory instead:

/var/mail/t/test <- Home for all t's
/var/mail/a/apple <-Home for all a's

etc.

Would this not basically do the exact same thing? Making things faster?

Now let me tell you the box that I will have running ... (maybe
/var/mail/$user won't be so bad on this box anywyas? You let me know)..
800mhz PIII
1g Ram,
SCSI ultra-fast drives ...

Thanks.