Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 05:20:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Aaron <epiphani@powertrip.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd webserver problem..

Greetings,

I'm cross-posting this with the freebsd support people and an apache
support list, as I'm downright confused as to what is causing my problem.

I administrate a number of machines, one of which doing primarily virtual
web hosting on a FreeBSD 4.4-REL machine using apache 1.3.22.  The
throughput is often peeks slightly over 15 Mbits, all of that being http
traffic.  However, at seemingly random times, the machine goes completely
unreachable, or becomes extremely slow in all ip socket
operations.  Sometimes this can happen for as little as 30 minutes, other
times can last for in excess of 6 hours (if it goes only slow, where icmp
and tcp traffic still get through, but any content retrieval fails - which
is why i dont get paged.)

I've spend the past few weeks attempting to find some way of finding the
cause of this, but I'm stumped.  When the machine goes completely
unreachable, it comes back by itself, without having rebooted.  When I
find the server laggy, after waiting 5 minutes to log in, i restart
apache, and it kicks back up.  The load averages during this go through
the roof, but process number, cpu usage, ram usege all seem normal.

So heres my problem.  If it is an apache problem, why does the entire
machine respond as if im getting hit with 40 megs of UDP.  (which im not,
already checked that.)  If its a socket handling problem, why does an
apache restart fix it.

Here are some machine specs:

Dual Xeon 600 w/ 512ram && 1 gig swap
dual 18 gig scsi && 30 gig ide
FreeBSD 4.4-REL
pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
kern.maxfiles: 16424
kern.maxvnodes: 40211
kern.maxproc: 8212
kern.maxfilesperproc: 16424
kern.maxprocperuid: 8211
kern.ipc.nmbclusters: 32768

Some Apache info:
ServerType standalone
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 100
MaxSpareServers 200
StartServers 600
MaxClients 4096
MaxRequestsPerChild 30
(Other than the paths and fd table, its a default build for freebsd, with
all the modules.)

Any help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.  I'm not a member
of either of these lists, so please remember to include my address in
responces.

Thanks,
Aaron Wiebe
Quik-Host.net Systems Admin