Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:18:46 +1000
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <re@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Comments on Release Building for -current

Howdy,

As the snapshot manager at snapshots.jp.freebsd.org would be aware,
current's release building capability is woeful to say the least. A fair
bit of tidying up will need to be done for DP2.
I've managed to complete a successful release build of current with a
checkout of two days ago. For those interested, here's what I had to do:

the mfsroot floppy contents were too large
FIX:
- edit /usr/src/release/i386/drivers.conf and move the following drivers
  from floppy 2 to floppy3: aue, cue, em, kue, sk, ti, wb, xe, and the
  SYSV stuff
- edit /usr/src/release/scripts/driver-copy2.awk to not error when it
  encounters the floppy 3 candidates

the kern floppy contents were too large
FIX:
- edit /usr/src/release/i386/dokern.sh and get sed to remove more
  drivers from MFSROOT. The drivers are: eisa, ahb, isp, ses

the fixit floppy contents were too large
FIX:
- edit /usr/src/release/i386/fixit_crunch.conf and remove the following
  programs: mount_msdosfs restore rrestore telnet

As you can see, all three 1.44MB floppies run out of space. With the
above changes, the build just scrapes by. I'd imagine that the changes
I made still wouldn't be enough for a release build to be successful
for PC98 or Alpha.
I'm happy to help resolve the release building issue if anybody is
interested.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au