Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 22:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EVENTHANDLER_DECLARE

On 10-May-00 Mike Smith wrote:
>> Sorry to bother y'll, but;
>>
>> Has anyone ever used that?  I see no trace of any kernel
>> code calling it, and the at_shutdown code appears to be
>> gone.
>
> It's still used in the shutdown code; it was meant to be available for
> general use elsewhere, but I haven't seen anyone playing with it, so
> maybe the design tradeoffs were bad choices.

I dunno.  It seems to do anything I need;  Call me with an argument.
I do not even need the priority.

>> BTW, for all it is worth, any caching controller not using
>> this is guaranteed to lose data.
>
> Wrong layer.  You should be using the bus shutdown method; look at eg.
> the Mylex driver to see how this is done.  You should probably call your
> flush routine from the suspend method as well.

This is dangerous for the OSM.  When the i2o OSM shuts an IOP
down, it is history.  It will stop doing any work at all; network,
disk, console, mouse, whatever.  I reserve that for really, really
shutdown/reset.

This needs to happen after all other shutdown work was done,
but before a physical reset is sent to the hardware.

There is no telling how long the IOP will take to return
from flush request.

> (Note that the Mylex stuff doesn't correctly handle suspend/resume since
>  we don't have a decent ACPI implementation yet)

I can emulate suspend/resume in the OSM easily.
Actually, it does that just before shutting down.
A single line of code.

> --
> \\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith
> \\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Sincerely Yours
                                             404.664.6401
Simon Shapiro             Research Fellow, Earthlink Inc.