Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 01:00:17 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't mount audio cds

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 06:06:47PM -0500, David Loszewski stood up and spoke:

> well how do I play it if i can't mount it? I won't be able to see
> anything to play.

To play an audio CD, you need a piece of software that can do that.
/usr/ports/audio should have a few CD player applications.

You do not need to mount or otherwise work with an audio CD since the
computer technically has very little to do with playing them. The
components that "decode" the music on the CD are located in the CD-ROM
drive - what gets out of the drive is already real, analog audio (though
some CD-ROM drives also have digital output). Your computer only sends
instructions like "skip to track 2" or "Pause" to the CD-ROM drive. One of
the many CD player applications will do just that - without mounting the
CD, as has already been pointed out.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany