Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 11:10:23 +0900 (JST)
From:      Takuya SHIOZAKI <shiozaki@ased.mt.nec.co.jp>
To:        devel@XFree86.Org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: anybody from the XFree86 team here ?

From: "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:32:48 -0400

> > I still think that the matter is fairly important
> > for X11 i18n, so this is my next try :-)

It is important that we design and implement better I18N facility
for not only X11 but also any Free-Unix.
Locale implementation on the Free-Unix is poorer than
Commercial-Unix's one (for instance, the locale implementation on
Solaris-2.{5,6} is very good).  That is fatal to make also I18Nized X11
application,  since it seems that X11 and XFree86 prefer to use
OS locale basically, instead of X11 own locale facility.

Also, that matter often makes us confuse.  For example, FreeBSD users
in Japan can remember such confusion by seperated libxpg4 from libc.
And Linux users in Japan can remember such confusion by changing
the standard C library from libc5 to libc6 on some distributions, too.

Now Free-Unix locale implementation is not enough to make and use
I18N-ized applications.  It is the serious probrem for us.

> > I'm working on conversion of TTF fonts into Type1 format.
> I have to wonder why you want to go this way, when at this point in time
> just about everyone is using the new TrueType fontserver. And before too
> long XFree86 will release servers that can use TTF fonts directly.

FreeBSD ports-current/packages-current has been containing our
X-TrueType Server Version1.0 [Aoi MATSUBARA Release 0].
You need only to invoke pkg_add to use TrueType-fied XFree86 Server,
based on 3.2.2.3.  If you use RedHat Linux, Slacware Linux, Debian GNU/Linux
and/or TurboLinux distributions, you can use the X-TT binary packages we
have already prepeared, too.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI, the X-TrueType Server project.