Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:18:29 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Powers" <dnpowers@swbell.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Network throughput

Hi,

  Let me try to answer this from the point of view of the ISP.

  I'm the admin at the ISP that I work at and we sell DSL.  I have my own home
DSL connection that goes into the same bridge group that everyone else runs
off of.

  First off, unless the ISP is incredibly oversold, and I mean incredibly,
incredibly, oversold there are going to be time periods on the DSL bridge
where the average traffic utilization on ALL circuits, both ingress and egress
circuits, is going to be down around 5%.  With us, that time is about 1:00am
to 8:00am.  I can pull files off most servers on the Internet at close to
600kps during that time.  And we do no caching whatsover.

  Other times the utilization varies but it is of course much higher.  Also
bandwidth utilization on the Internet itself is much higher so even if you
have a clear path to your ISP and he has a clear path to his backbone feeds,
the other end may be stuffed up.  So, running these "bandwidth testers" during
that time produce basically meaningless results.

  So what you should learn from this is that IF you are suspecting that your
friend's slowness is due to overselling on the ISP, that what you should be
seeing then is a tremendous variance on throughput from hour to hour.  In
short, during the dead times you will see very good throughput and during the
hot times it will stink.  This should be self-evident, but it's amazing how
many users with DSL problems start off blaming the ISP when they get stinky
throughput ALL of the time.

  Now, if your seeing horrible throughput all of the time, then it's not the
fault of the ISP and your wasting your time attempting to blame the ISP or
it's equipment.  Instead, you need to be looking at the DSL circuit itself, AS
WELL AS the end user equipment.

  I've seen some really oddball problems that killed throughout, here they are
for your edification:

In one customer they had a pair of hubs, one was a switch the other a dumb
hub.  They complained of piss poor throughput up to complete disconnections.
Moving the DSL modem from a switch port to the dumb hub fixed the problem -
for all the systems on the dumb hub.  The systems on the switch were still
having problems.  Turned out the switch wasn't designed to handle more than 1
mac address per port and the dumb hub was of course plugged into a port on the
switch.  (don't ask me why they didn't have problems with their servers)

Another customer complained repeatedly over several weeks time.  We even
rolled a Telco switch tech who tested at the MPOE (demarcation block)
and it was fine.  Customer kept complaining we finally sent one of our own
techs over (gratis, of course)  Tech discovered the customer - in an attempt
to "neaten up" their server rooom the customer had meticulously braided the
DSL modem power cord, telephone line and several other telephone cords
together into a 10 foot long bundle.  Removed the braiding and separated all
cords and throughput went back to normal.

In another throughput complaint instance where we ended up sending another
tech over gratis (see a pattern here) we found that moving the DSL modem from
the top of an Intel hub where it had been resting to a shelf about 3 feet away
fixed the problem.

One time I got a call from another customer with low throughput complaint.
During the course of the call I asked him to describe his inside phone wiring
and he admitted he lived in an old house that had been built in 1920 and the
phone wire was all original.  I told him to run a new CAT-5 cable from the
MPOE directly to the DSL modem, then from the DSL modem to the rest of the
phones in his house.  Fortunately the guy was an EE and readily understood the
problems when I explained that many of the DSL frequencies are in the RF range
and he complied with instructions.  As soon as the new wiring was installed
the problems went away.

My all-time favorite story was this one, though:

Customer called in repeatedly over several weeks time complaining of low
throughput, went through the usual rigamarole of sending people out, nothing
worked.  Finally on the second Telco truck roll I had the tech test from the
back of the DSL modem itself instead of the MPOE he discovered a short to
another cable pair.  Several hours of investigating with a TDR discovered -
get this - a HIDDEN intermediate punchdown block concealed behind a false wall
in the back of a cabinet in the customer area.  They found someone at the site
(this was a business) that did the old head-slapper and remembered the story.
Seems that 6 years ago they expanded into a second suite and in the process of
integrating the two networks ended up with this intermediate punchdown block
in an unfavorable location.  Said location happened to be the office of an
executive secretary (no longer working for them) who was best described as a
"bitch on wheels" who got a bug up her butt about "that ugly mess of wires" in
the back of one of her cabinets.  She hired a carpenter who came in and for
$1K or so rebuilt the entire cabinet with the false wall.  Idiot carpenter of
course provided no door or other means of access to the punchdown block. (they
had to use a hammer to smash out the back of this cabinet, fortunately it was
crap laminated particle board)  Ground short was caused by a nail from the
cabinet that had been driven into one of the cable bundles.  I think that the
phone company charged them about $500 to find that one out.

Anyway, what I hope that you draw from all this is that DSL is not a
rock-solid circuit delivery mechanism and that the last 30 feet of wire inside
the house can kill the circuit as surely as a bridge tap or load coil in the
Telco  section of the circuit.