Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:28:49 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jehamby@lightside.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Subject:   Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > Meanwhile, TET is a completely seperate piece of software necessary
> > > for running TET-hosted test suites... like NIST/PCTS.  I've already
> > > suggested that someone grab the TET off of the X/Open server (where it
> > > is available for anonymous FTP) and check it into the FreeBSD ports
> > > tree.
> >
> > Which one?
> >
> >   - TET3.0a     - unavailable to non-paying customers at the moment
> >   - dTET2.3     - "distributed TET"
> >   - eTET1.10.3  - "extended TET"
> >   - TET1.10     - The release version
> >
> > Without knowing which version the NIST code requires, I'd be a little
> > leery of just going in and attempting a port.
>
> Why?  A POSIX-compliant platform is required to run all of them
> without changes.

That's not what I was asking.  It seems pretty obvious to me that the
different versions provide different feature sets, so without knowing which
particular features are required by the test suite, I wouldn't know which
test framework to use.

>   d. Test Methods for Measuring Conformance to POSIX, IEEE Std 1003.3-1991.
>   e. Test Methods for Measuring Conformance to POSIX.1, IEEE Std 2003.1-1992.

Oh great, IEEE standards.  Meaning that they aren't freely available.

To clear this up, I e-mailed Martha Gray at NIST, and inquired as to which
version of TET the NIST POSIX test suite required.  She said that TET was
_not_ required by the test suite, as it pre-dates TET.

Hm.  Are we talking about the same test suite here?

Perhaps it would be good idea to wait until the bits are on the NIST server.
--
Jonathan