Date:      Sat, 06 Apr 2002 19:57:30 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        "Marius Kirschner" <marius@agoron.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.3 to 4.5 upgrade

At 08:05 PM 4/6/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>What's the recommended upgrade from 4.3 to 4.5?  The last time I used
>the CD to upgrade from 4.2 to 4.3 and it didn't go very smooth.  That's
>the main reason why I haven't upgraded yet.  Thanks,

You can use cvsup to update your source tree, and do a source
compile/install of your world and kernel.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

Are good places to start reading.

If you want to install -STABLE, use RELENG_4 as your cvs tag.  If you want
to install 4.5-RELEASE, use RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE as your cvs tag.  If you
want 4.5-RELEASE+security_fixes, use RELENG_4_5 as your cvs tag.  See
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile for an example of a cvsup supfile.

The first update can seem like a bit much, but once you get the hang of it
things are a snap.

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/