Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 12:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        nordquist@platinum.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port of gdbm 1.7.3 to FreeBSD uploaded

 * You know, while I'm always glad to see the ports collection grow, this
 * last one puzzles me.  Since we have the entire Berkeley db code in our
 * libc, and this gives (I think) all the functionality of gdbm, well, why
 * would you need gdbm.  I know -current recently imported db.1.85, so it's
 * really up to date.  Reading the postscript docs available at the dist
 * site, it's even supposed to be technically superior in performance to gdbm.

Well, are they compatible?  I mean, if there is a program that's
written with gdbm in mind, and it won't compile/link/run with dbm
without modification, then I think gdbm will have a place on
somebody's machine (and thus the ports collection).

If it's completely compatible, and dbm is better or at least not worse
in all aspects, then, well it's a different story.

Satoshi