Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:27:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ccd driver or 2.1R available

>   As far as I can tell from the manpage, the reason is that the ccd
> disklabel could be mistaken by the system as the disk's label, because
> they are in the same spot.  The first bit of every partition has space
> reserved for the label, but ccd will not reserve space.
>
>   I believe swap will not work as the first partition on a disk for the
> same reason, except that swap will overwrite the label!

Well, I left the first cylinder empty and I've been running for 22 hours now
having striped two disks for a new alt.binaries partition on news.sol.net.

My only "gotcha" was that ccd insists on the component partitions being of
type "4.2BSD" which I wasn't quite expecting.  It might be better to have a
different partition type ("CCD"?) to avoid confusion.  The error message
given by ccdcontrol was hideously vague, of course it only took a minute or
two to go grepping for the errno in the driver and inspect the relevant
code, and then it made sense.

Anyways, we have ways to exercise the code  :-)  and it appears to be
working just great!  I have a six-drive array that's just begging for ccd.

Somebody please fold this into -current!  It's exactly what we need...
nifty things like this are great selling points for FreeBSD.

... Joe