Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:49:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current ready for prime time web server ?

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> May ask why do you think that 3.0 is not ready for prime time?

A few things.

First, the big statement saying:

    This is our first release of 3.0-CURRENT and is aimed primarily at
    early adopters and developers.

Second, the massive number of changes that were rushed into the tree soon
before 3.0 came out.  Things take time to settle.  There are no specifics
really.  Well, some of the things new in 3.0 still need more work but
that alone shouldn't discourage people who only need to use things that
already were in 2.x.

Third, I'm not aware of the dying daemons thing being fixed.  I don't
like it when programs randomly start dying due to vm wackyness or
whatever it is.  While the failure mode that appears to be typical
may not normally happen on many servers, I wouldn't want to put
my faith in that.  My 3.0 workstation has seen this, and it has
prevented me from accessing it remotely.  Good thing it isn't a server.