Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:50:06 -0500
From:      Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kdm, PR ports/32273, and other gremlins

Since I got moved to test kdm, there are a couple of things that do go
wrong, none of them showstoppers.

1. Xsetup_0 doesn't run kdmdesktop, nor should it. But the Setup=script
needs to kick off kdmdesktop before running Xsetup_0. This was reported
in a previous mail and is included here for completeness.

2. The XFree86 path issue. Also reported previously, in more detail.

3. The PATH. The PR ports/32273 makes reference to a path problem. There's a
more subtle issue, that may be $SHELL dependent. My $SHELL is bash. (Yeah,
so what're you gonna do about it?) My .profile does not get executed as part
of the login/startup sequence.

I have a .xsession. It kicks off imwheel and then execs startkde. I can
source my .profile from there.

But I have to ask, should the shell that starts things off from a kdm login
be a login shell? I would kinda think so, but it doesn't seem to happen that
way.

I'll investigate what happens if I move my .xsession out of the way, and
report further. Right now I just wanted to give a heads up (Hi, Lauri!) that
there is an issue.

--
Alan Eldridge
#include <cstdlib>