Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 14:26:03 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Gary Geisbert <geisbert@code1200.nrl.navy.mil>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD - a.k.a. - Microsoft Business Software Division

At 08:02 AM 11/20/2001, Gary Geisbert wrote:

>Here's an article on the Cyclone programming language, and how they
>referred to BSD as "Microsoft Business Software Division".  Let's give a
>big round of applause for ntsecurity.net
>
>http://www.ntsecurity.net/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=23262

A typical case of irresponsible copy editing. As an author, I see this
happen all the time. A copy editor will take it upon him or herself to
expand acronyms incorrectly or inappropriately, modify the word ordering
of commonly used technical terms, "correct" the grammar of technical
idioms, or remove the passive voice (even when it was used intentionally
for emphasis or to present concepts in a particular order). Many copy
editors seem to feel that if they do not make such arbitrary changes,
they are not doing their jobs! But the result is, virtually always, to
make the author look foolish or at best unknowledgeable.

A small number of responsible publications send proofs back to the author
so that he or she can fix these gaffes, but the majority (alas) do not.

--Brett